Dr. Humeira Badsha
Recipient, Patient’s Choice Award 2010, Massachusetts, USA
This web site is run by Dr. Humeira Badsha, an Arthritis Specialist based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
She is at Dr. Humeira Badsha Medical center, Beach Park Plaza, Jumeira Beach Road Next to Neurospinal hospital.
On this site you will find news about the latest in arthritis, information about research results in the field, tips and information and diet and exercise, and much more. Dr. Humeira Badsha has over 16 years of experience as a Rheumatologist across three countries – the USA, Singapore and UAE. She trained at UCLA, California, and has worked and taught medical students and doctors at various schools and hospitals including Harvard, Tufts and UCLA. She has been the principal investigator in various clinical trials of medications for rheumatoid arthritis, and published several papers in leading journals. She had been working in Dubai since 2005, having moved from her practice in Boston, MA.
- American Board Certified Rheumatology 1997; re-certified 2007.
- American Board Certified Internal Medicine 1995; re-certified 2005.
- Fellow of the American College of Rheumatology (FACR).
- Fellow of the Academy of Medicine Singapore (FAMS).
- Member, Editorial Board International Journal of Rheumatology (Blackwell publishing).
- Vice Chairperson, and Founding Member, Emirates Arthritis Foundation.
- Founding Member of Emirates Society Rheumatology. Secretary of ESR until 12/2010
- Member Ethics Committee at Harvard Medical School Dubai Center and DOHMS.
Key Achievements in Dubai
- Excellent clinical skills and rapport with patients. Preferred provider for many referring doctors in the UAE and region. Implemented key quality measures in clinical practice.
- Leadership role in educating GPs and Family doctors and raising standards of care. Chairperson of the first series of middle east Rheumatology conferences
- Leadership role in Rheumatology education, research and publications. Founder and secretary of the Emirates Society for Rheumatology. Inducted the society into the Asia Pacific League of Rheumatology
- Leader in Community programming, education, established the Emirates Arthritis Foundation and Endowment Fund. Vice chairperson of Emirates arthritis Foundation.
Medical Expert / Clinical Decision Maker Dr. Badsha is an exemplary physician and treats her patients with the highest quality of care but also sets an example of humane and ethical qualities.
- Quality measures implemented in practice. Examples:
- Dexa scan for osteoporosis for all chronic steroid users or post-menopausal women.
- All rheumatoid Arthritis patients have 28 joint counts, and clinical disease activity measures including das28 scores and patient and physician global assessment of disease activity, baseline and yearly x-rays and SHARP scores.
- All patients started on disease modifying drugs are informed of all side-effects and are monitored according to American college of rheumatology criteria and standards.
- Implemented measures of Quality performance based on above criteria in clinical practice and performs at 99-100% compliance with gold standards
Educator and Opinion Leader
She is also considered an opinion leader in Rheumatic conditions and health care in the region.
- Founder and secretary for the Emirates Society of Rheumatology, which brings together the Rheumatologists in the country in a national Organization recognized by EMA. This Society is now member of APLAR and will bid to host the 2012 APLAR Rheumatology Conference with 20,000 attendees.
- Chairperson, Main Organizer, and Speaker at Arab Health’s first ever Rheumatology Conference, Dubai Jan 2007 attended by 350 doctors.
- Speaker at Pan Arab Rheumatology Conference April 2006, Cairo, Egypt and Doha Qatar, 2008
- Chairperson, Main Organizer, and Speaker at Arab Health’s first ever Musculoskeletal Conference, Dubai Jan 2008 attended by 150 doctors
- Chairperson, Main Organizer, and Speaker at Arab Health’s and Middle East first ever STAND ALONE Rheumatology Conference, Dubai March 2009 attended by 350 doctors
- Speaker at International osteoporosis Foundation conference in Jordan 11/09
- Has developed patient education brochures, for clinical use and website material Counsels patients on emotional aspects of disease, supports and counsels family members
- Is on the Speaker panel for all key Pharmaceutical industry roundtables and symposia : Bristol Myers; MSD: Novartis: Servier: Fonterra; Wyeth;
- Has written several articles for non-peer reviewed journals (appendix 4) such as Arab Health and Healthcare Middle East to raise the profile of healthcare in the region (SLE, RA, Back pain, Soft Tissue Rheumatism, Complemenatry and Alternative treatments).
- Invited Guest Lecturer at First 2- day Rheumatology Conference, Sohag University, Egypt 03/08
- International Advisor to Pakistan Rheumatology Association and Indian Rheumatology Associations Annual meetings; Chaired session IRA India 11/09
- Dr. Badsha also serves on the editorial board of the APLAR journal of Rheumatology, is a member of the American College of Rheumatology and Fellow of Academy of Medicine, Singapore
The Emirates Arthritis Foundation under the patronage of HRH Princess Haya
- Set up the Emirates Arthritis Foundation (EAF) to raise awareness of arthritis, educate patients and establish support groups. As Founder and Vice Chairperson of the Board of Directors, she is responsible for the vision of EAF and all day to day operations. She has hired a coordinator who reports to her, has established an network of dynamic volunteers, and established and trained a network of patient volunteers. She has worked with legal experts to establish by-laws and rules of this Committee in accordance with sharia compliance.
- In the 36 months since its launch, the EAF has been a vibrant, fast growing organization, the first of its kind in the region. EAF and Dr. Badsha have run multiple educational evenings in Dubai (attended by up to 160 patients at each session), programs in Abu Dhabi and Ras Al Khaima have established the monthly support groups attended by 20-25 patients in various locations. There has been an outpouring of interest from patients and the public. There is an agenda of many events including more patient awareness and education. The success of EAF has generated requests from other countries, including Kuwait, for a representative of EAF to go to their countries to share their experiences and help in establishing branches or similar programs.
- Has been active in raising funds for endowment Fund of EAF and organizing fund raising activities for the year, including gala dinner, yearly walkathon under the patronage of HRH Princess Haya. Last year the organization’s turnover was 2 million dhs and 40 patients were able to obtain free medical treatment.
- Dr. Badsha has worked in conjunction with other Rheumatologists in the region to launch a quarterly educational newsletter for arthritis patients in English and Arabic in the region. She is the Editor of the newsletter and has garnered the support of the influential opinion leaders in the country to write articles.
Research and Publications
- Recipient of a AED 250,000 grant from the Emirates Foundation to establish the regions first RA database.
- Member Research Ethics Committee Harvard Medical School Dubai center and Department Of Health and Medical Services (DOHMS) Dubai.
Articles – Peer Reviewed:
- Badsha H, Gunes B, Grossman J, Brahn E.Troponin I assessment of cardiac involvement in patients with connective tissue disease and an elevated creatine kinase MB isoform.J. Clin Rheum. 3 : 131-134, 1997.
- Tsao BP, Cantor RM, Kalunian KC, Chen CJ, Badsha H, Singh R, Wallace DJ, Kitridou RC, Chen SL, Shen N, Song YW, Isenberg DA, Yu CL, Hahn BH, Rotter Jl.Evidence for linkage of a candidate chromosome 1 region to human systemic lupus erythematosus.J Clin Invest 1997 Feb 15; 99 (4) : 725-31.
- Melioidosis in systemic lupus erythematosus: the importance of early diagnosis and treatment in patients from endemic areas. H Badsha, CJ Edwards, HH Chng. Lupus. 2001;10(11):821-23
- Low-dose pulse methylprednisolone for systemic lupus erythematosus flares is efficacious and has a decreased risk of infectious complications. Badsha H; Kong KO; Lian TY; Chan SP; Edwards CJ; Chng HH Lupus, 15 August 2002, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 508-513(6)
- Mycobacterium haemophilum infection in an SLE patient on mycophenolate mofetil Cheng Lay Teh, Kok Ooi Kong, Angela Chong, Humeira Badsha Lupus. 2002;11(4):249-52.
- Intravenous pulses of methylprednisolone for SLE. Badsha H, Edwards CJ.Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism vol 32, no 5 april 2003 pp
- Intermittent epoprostenol infusion in systemic lupus erythematosus associated pulmonary hypertension – a series of 3 cases. Kok Ooi Kong, Humeira Badsha, Julian Thumboo, Hiok Hee Chng.Annals Academy of Medicine Singapore January 2003,vol 32 no. 1 pp 118-21
- Hospitalization of individuals with systemic lupus erythematosus: characteristics and predictors of outcome Edwards CJ, Lian TY, Badsha H, Te CL, Arden N, Chng HH. Lupus. 2003; 12(9):672-6.
- Usefulness of serum soluble CD38 and CD 157 levels in differentiating SLE, RA andhealthy adults and their relationship with disease activity. Kong KO, Leung BP, Chng HH, Thong BY, Koh ET, Leong KP, Badsha H, Lian Ty, Khoo KM, Howe HS. Ann Acad of Med Singapore 2003 sep; 32 (5 suppl) S16-7
- Low-dose pulse methylprednisolone is an effective therapy for severe SLE flares. Lupus. 2004;13(3):212-3 Kong KO, Badsha H, Lian TY, Edwards, CJ, Chng HH
- Pulmonary Haemorrhage in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus H Badsha, CL The, KO Kong, TY Lian, HH Chng.Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism 33/6 pp. 414-421
- Transforming growth factor beta-1 and gene polymorphisms in oriental ankylosing spondylitis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2005 Jan;44(1):51-4 Howe HS, Cheung PL, Kong KO, Badsha H, Thong BY, Leong KP, Koh ET, Lian TY, Cheng YK, Lam S,Teo D, Lau TC, Leung BP
- Psychometric properties of a new systemic lupus erythematosus-specific quality-of life instrument (SLEQOL). Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2004 Sep;33(5 Suppl):S35Leong KP, Kong KO, Thong BY, Koh ET, Lian TY, The CL, Cheng YK, Chng HH, Badsha H, Law WG, Lau TC, Chew LC, Ho HJ, Pong LY, Hoi LS, Nagarajan S, Chan SP, Howe HS.
- Development and preliminary validation of a systemic lupus erythematosus-specific quality-of-life instrument (SLEQOL).Rheumatology (Oxford). 2005 Mar 29 Leong KP, Kong KO, Thong BY, Koh ET, Lian TY, Teh CL, Cheng YK, Chng HH, Badsha H, Law WG, Lau TC, Chew LC, Ho HJ, Pong LY, Hoi LS, Sangeetha N, Chan SP, Howe HS
- Proinflammatory high-density lipoprotein as a biomarker for atherosclerosis in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2006 Jul 25;54(8):2541-2549. Mc Mohan M, Grossman J, Fitzgerald J, Dahlin Lee E, Wallace DJ, Thong BY, Badsha H, Kalunian K, Charles C, Navab M, Fogelman AM, Hahn BH
- Association of a common complement receptor 2 haplotype with increased risk of SLE. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. In press. Wu H, Boackle SA, Hanvivadhanaku P, Ulgiati D, Grossman JM, Lee Y, Shen N, Abraham LJ, Mercer TR, Park E, Hebert LA, Rovin BH, Birmingham DJ, Chang D, Chen CJ, McCurdy D, Badsha HM, Thong BYH, Chng HH, Arnett FC, Wallace DJ, Yu CY, Hahn BH, Cantor RM, Tsao BP.
- Rheumatoid arthritis in Dubai – delayed diagnosis and low DMARD utilization. Badsha H, Kong KO, Tak PP.Ann Rheum Dis 2007 Jun;66(6):835
- Atypical inflammatory arthritis due to combined Hereditary Hemochromatosis and activeHepatitis C.Zafar S, Badsha H.J Clin Rheumatology. 14(1):21-23, February 2008.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis in the UAE.Badsha H, Kong KO, Tak PP.Clinical RheumatologyNov 2007
- Can Islamic prayers benefit spondyloarthritides? Case report of a patient with ankylosing spondylitis and increased spinal mobility after an intensive regimen of Islamic prayer. Badsha H, Tak PP Rheumatology Int. 2008
- Remission and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Data from 24 Countries in the QUEST-RA Study
- Tuulikki Sokka, Merete Lund Hetland, Heidi Mäkinen, Hannu Kautiainen, Kim Hørslev-Petersen, ReijoK. Luukkainen, Bernard Combe, Humeira Badsha, Joe Devlin, Gianfranco Ferraccioli, Alessia Morelli, Monique Hoekstra, Maria Majdan, Stefan Sadkiewicz, Miguel Belmonte, Ann-Carin Holmqvist, Ernest Choy, Gerd R Burmester, Recep Tunc, Aleksander Dimic, Jovan Nedovic, Aleksandra Stankovic, Martin Bergman, Sergio Toloza, Theodore Pincus for the QUEST-RA Group
- Work disability remains a major problem in rheumatoid arthritis in the 2000s:data from 32 countries in the QUEST-RA Study.
- okka T, Kautiainen H, Pincus T, Verstappen SM, Aggarwal A, Alten R, Andersone D, Badsha H, Baecklund E, Belmonte M, Craig-Müller J, da Mota LM, Dimic A, Fathi NA, Ferraccioli G, Fukuda W, Géher P, Gogus F, Hajjaj-Hassouni N, Hamoud H, Haugeberg G, Henrohn D, Horslev-Petersen K, Ionescu R, Karateew D, Kuuse R, Laurindo IM, Lazovskis J, Luukkainen R, Mofti A, Murphy E, Nakajima A, Oyoo O, Pandya SC, Pohl C, Predeteanu D, Rexhepi M, Rexhepi S, Sharma B, Shono E, Sibilia J, Sierakowski S, Skopouli FN, Stropuviene S, Toloza S, Valter I, Woolf A, Yamanaka H; the QUEST-RA study group.
- Arthritis Res Ther. 2010 Mar 12;12(2):R42. [Epub ahead of print]
- PMID: 20226018 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
- Related citations
- Discordant assessment of lupus activity between patients and their physicians: the Singapore experience.
- Leong KP, Chong EY, Kong KO, Chan SP, Thong BY, Lian TY, Chng HH, Koh ET, Teh CL, Lau TC, Law WG, Cheng YK, Badsha H, Chew LC, Yong WH, Howe HS; Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) Lupus Study Group.
- Lupus. 2010 Jan;19(1):100-6. Epub 2009 Oct 30.
- PMID: 19880553 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Related citations
- Disparities in rheumatoid arthritis disease activity according to gross domestic product in 25 countries in the QUEST-RA database.
- Sokka T, Kautiainen H, Pincus T, Toloza S, da Rocha Castelar Pinheiro G, Lazovskis J, Hetland ML, Peets T, Immonen K, Maillefert JF, Drosos AA, Alten R, Pohl C, Rojkovich B, Bresnihan B, Minnock P, Cazzato M, Bombardieri S, Rexhepi S, Rexhepi M, Andersone D, Stropuviene S, Huisman M, Sierakowski S, Karateev D, Skakic V, Naranjo A, Baecklund E, Henrohn D, Gogus F, Badsha H, Mofti A, Taylor P, McClinton C, Yazici Y.
- Ann Rheum Dis. 2009 Nov;68(11):1666-72. Epub 2009 Jul 30.
- PMID: 19643759 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]Free PMC ArticleFree text
- Related citations
- Myalgias or non-specific muscle pain in Arab or Indo-Pakistani patients may indicate vitamin D deficiency.
- Badsha H, Daher M, Ooi Kong K.
- Clin Rheumatol. 2009 Aug;28(8):971-3. Epub 2009 Mar 10.
- PMID: 19277814 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Related citations
- The benefits of yoga for rheumatoid arthritis: results of a preliminary, structured 8-week program.
- Badsha H, Chhabra V, Leibman C, Mofti A, Kong KO.
- Rheumatol Int. 2009 Oct;29(12):1417-21. Epub 2009 Jan 31.
- PMID: 19184028 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Smokers and non smokers with rheumatoid arthritis have similar clinical status: data from the multinational QUEST-RA database.
- Naranjo A, Toloza S, Guimaraes da Silveira I, Lazovskis J, Hetland ML, Hamoud H, P
- Peets T, Mäkinen H, Gossec L, Herborn G, Skopouli FN, Rojkovich B, Aggarwal A, Minnock P, Cazzato M, Yamanaka H, Oyoo O, Rexhepi S, Andersone D, Baranauskaite A, Hajjaj-Hassouni N, Jacobs JW, Haugeberg G, Sierakowski S, Ionescu R, Karateew D, Dimic A, Henrohn D, Gogus F, Badsha H, Choy E, Bergman M, Sokka T.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2010 Nov-Dec;28(6):820-7. Epub 2011 Jan 3.
- Gender, body mass index and rheumatoid arthritis disease activity: results from the QUEST-RA Study.
- Jawaheer D, Olsen J, Lahiff M, Forsberg S, Lähteenmäki J, da Silveira IG, Rocha FA, Magalhães Laurindo IM, Henrique da Mota LM, Drosos AA, Murphy E, Sheehy C, Quirke E, Cutolo M, Rexhepi S, Dadoniene J, Verstappen SM, Sokka T; QUEST-RA.Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2010 Jul-Aug;28(4):454-61. Epub 2010 Aug 30.
- Live polio vaccine exposure while receiving anti-TNF therapy for reactive arthritis.
- Badsha H, Daher M, Edwards CJ
- Int J Rheum Dis. 2010 May;13(2):184-6.
- Smokers and non smokers with rheumatoid arthritis have similar clinicalstatus: data from the multinational QUEST-RA database.
- Naranjo A, Toloza S, Guimaraes da Silveira I, Lazovskis J, Hetland ML, Hamoud H, Peets T, Mäkinen H, Gossec L, Herborn G, Skopouli FN, Rojkovich B, Aggarwal A, Minnock P, Cazzato M, Yamanaka H, Oyoo O, Rexhepi S, Andersone D, Baranauskaite A, Hajjaj-Hassouni N, Jacobs JW, Haugeberg G, Sierakowski S, Ionescu R, Karateew D, Dimic A, Henrohn D, Gogus F, Badsha H, Choy E, Bergman M, Sokka T.
- Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2010 Nov-Dec;28(6):820-7. Epub 2011 Jan 3.
FOR FULL LIST OF PUBLICATIONS VISIT THIS LINK : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
- Badsha H, Rheumatoid Arthritis. A Clinical Approach to Medicine. 1st and 2nd edition. Ong YY, Woo KT, ONLINE CHAPTER
- Psoriatic Arthritis eMedicine (WebMD).
- Humeira Badsha (Principal Investigator) Ataciecept in RA study Dubai Phase II trial. 2008.
- Humeira Badsha (PI) Study of Actemra in RA – Phase IV Trial, Dubai UAE.
- Co-investigator : QUEST RA study – a multinational RA cross sectional study.
- Abstracts presented at EULAR international Conferences 2008.
- FRI0373 RESULTS OF A PUBLIC SCREENING PROGRAM FOR LOW BONE MASS (Friday 13.06.08 Poster)
- H. BADSHA, M. AlKuwari2, K. Kong3, T. Lau4, P. Tak5
- RHEUMATOLOGY, DUBAI BONE AND JOINT CENTER, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Health, DUBAI, United Arab Emirates, RHEUMATOLOGY, Tan Tock Seng hospital, RHEUMATOLOGY, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore, Singapore, RHEUMATOLOGY, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- AB0179 VALIDATION OF A PRELIMINARY BILINGUAL SCREENING TOOL TO DETECT EARLY INFLAMMATORY ARTHRITIS IN A MULTI-ETHIC POPULATION (AB).
- H. BADSHA, K. Kong, A. Mofti, P. Tak.
- RHEUMATOLOGY, DUBAI BONE AND JOINT CENTER, DUBAI, United Arab Emirates, RHEUMATOLOGY, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore, Singapore, 3RHEUMATOLOGY, American Hospital, DUBAI, United Arab Emirates, RHEUMATOLOGY, Academic Medical Center/University Medical Center, Amsterdam, Netherlands